With higher incidences of heart disease and diabetes occurring today, it’s no surprise that many people are opting to incorporate more leafy veggies into their diet. Vegetables often pack in key minerals, and many are sugar- and carbohydrate-free, so you don’t have to feel guilty about eating them in copious amounts. When you’re looking to eat more veggies, did you know that you could grow your own right in the comfort of your own home?
MicrogreenS kits are taking off, and these kits allow you to grow such delicious and healthy crops such as broccoli, arugula, and brussels sprouts with relative ease. These greens, which are typically smaller, may even be healthier for you in the long run than their larger, more mainstream counterparts.
1. Window Garden Kit – Best Kit for Aesthetics
This is a horizontal kit that can also be used vertically with the separate Veg Ledge Shelf. The base of the product is made of glass, which also allows you to see the soil and monitor your plant’s growth. The kit also comes with a 150-milliliter spray bottle for watering, and a disc of fiber soil.
The inclusion of the spray bottle means that this is a good one-and-done product. Additionally, the glass design not only lets light in, but it makes the product look beautiful. Purchasing the ledge also adds versatility.
2. Sprout Garden Complete Starter Kit – Best Kit for Multi-Crop Growing
This product includes three growing trays and four covered soaking trays. The soaking trays allow you to soak your seeds overnight with ease. Once you’ve harvested the sprouts, you can wash the trays in a dishwasher. Each tray is about eight inches.
If you want to grow a variety of sprouts for your sandwiches or salads, this is an excellent choice thanks to its multiple sprout trays.
3. Verdant Republic Set – Best Kit for Overall Convenience
This kit, which they call the Purplicious Microgreens Kit, comes with a full kit to grow your sprouts. This includes five packages of high germinating seeds, compressed soil, and five biodegradable pots.
This is a straightforward kit to use to grow a variety of plants like red Russian kale and Swiss chard. If you want to grow some herbs or sprouts in a windowsill or on a rack, this is a great option.
4. Crop 4-Tray Seed Sprouter – Best Kit for Keeping Seeds Still
This is a stackable sprouter that’s made of plastic. It’s primarily designed for sprouts like alfalfa and mung, and since it uses a hydrophobic irrigation system, you won’t need much water. It takes about three days to generate sprouts.
For those looking for multiple types of sprouts, this is a good choice. It also grows the plants vertically, so it doesn’t take up a lot of space.
5. Two-Tiered Seed Sprouter -Best Kit for Ease of Use
This product does a great job of keeping the moisture level consistent thanks to its drainage holes. It also has the proper sizing for even larger sprouts, which opens up the product’s versatility somewhat.
One of the best features of this kit is its ease of use; it even comes with alfalfa, and it only takes about two days to produce results. Many will also love the modular design; it opens up possibilities for multiple sprout crops.
6. Lejoy Garden Seed Sprouter Tray – Best Kit for Heat and Moisture Preservation
This product is designed to grow crops like wheatgrass, but other veggies like mung and soya are also easily cultivated with the product. It has a large sizing of 13.4 x 9.84 x 4.72 inches, so you’ll be able to grow a lot of a single crop.
Crops like wheatgrass can aid in blood sugar regulation, and it also helps in a plethora of other ways when it comes to your health, so being able to grow it with this product can be very beneficial. The product also has a high rate of bud formation.
This is a product that does a great job at preventing the growth of mold on sprouts like wheatgrass, so if mold has been a problem for you, this might be a good option.
7. Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit – Best Kit for Herb Growing
This is a very all-inclusive kit; it even comes with plant labels so that you can keep track of what’s growing.
The fact that the gift box is also usable as an organizer adds a lot of versatility to the kit.
This is a product that makes it very easy to grow herbs in your home, and it’s very easy to use with just a few essential steps for you to make for optimal growing.
8. EcoQube Frame – Best Kit for Vertical Design
While the first product had a design that allowed for vertical placement, this product, from EcoQube, is designed to be placed on a wall right out of the box. It also has a no-watering design that makes it very low maintenance.
Broccoli sprouts can be hard to grow in a microgreen kit because the seeds are so small, but this product makes crops like broccoli and wheatgrass easy to grow thanks to the protected vertical design. It also comes with a spray bottle, which makes it easy to get started.
Overall, this product is recommended for owners that want to show off their growing vegetables. It doesn’t produce a lot, so if you’re looking for a high yield, you may have to purchase multiple products.
9. Lejoy Garden Bean Sprouts Machine – Best Kit for Precise Growing Conditions
Of all of the products, this LeJoy kit has the most smart features. Not only can it turn itself off, but it’s designed to prevent leaks actively. It will also automatically sprinkle water on your sprouts.
This product has all of the features to make growing your favorite vegies easy. It even can help you balance temperature and water pressure, which is very convenient.
10. Tribest Automatic Sprouter – Best Kit for Water Pressure
This is another smart product with features like an automatic watering system to make things extra-convenient.
When it comes to price, this is a more premium product. Also, the kit doesn’t inhibit mold, so you’ll have to be diligent. This is mainly an issue around the motor housing.
It has a modular design that allows you to grow multiple sprouts in multiple trays that are all stacked atop one another.
This premium-grade product is great for just about anyone looking to grow sprouts. It has a convenient design, allows you to grow multiple crops, and is easy to use.
So, now that you’ve had a look at some of the kits that you can find out there on the market, it’s a good idea to learn about microgreens and microgreen kits in general so that you know what to look for. There are a plethora of kits out there on the market, and you’d be surprised if you knew how much variation that there is from kit to kit. Fortunately, most kits work well to help you grow your favorite veggies from home, but having said that, use this guide if you need additional info.
What Exactly Sets Microgreens Apart from Other Types of Veggies?
Simply from the name, you probably understand that microgreen vegetables are smaller than their standard counterparts. This is because these greens are typically cultivated long before they become the large variants that we are used to in our dishes. These greens with tinier leaves and sprouts are popping up everywhere, and it’s even common to find them in most professional eateries these days.
The Benefits of Having Kits for Growing Microgreens
Outside of the aforementioned health benefits, having full-fledged kits can have a lot of advantages. Here are a few that you can consider:
- They are cheap to cultivate: When you buy your veggies from the supermarket, you’re not just paying for the greens. When you buy this way, your money goes to the transport, packaging, and partially to the supermarket’s profit margins. When you purchase a kit, you’ll only need seeds, which are cheap; water, which is usually free; and soil, which many kits include. As a result, you’ll have cheap yet delicious foods for months with continuous growing.
- Most kits are designed to be low-maintenance: While some might require you to water the veggies from time to time, there are products on the market, including some in our review section, that have automatic smart features that virtually do all of the work for you. These include self-watering kits and kits that adjust the temperature so that the plants grow optimally.
- They can make you money: Many local eateries love to source locally, so if you want to sell some of your yield, this is a good way to make some cash. While you may not want to grow a lot in a small area, you can make a few bucks off of your work.
- They can yield you veggies for months: One of the best aspects of growing your own veggies is that you can reuse the soil for future crops of the same or different vegetables. These products also work well together, so you’ll be able to grow crops like watercress, endives, and various types of cabbage.
What are Some Popular Microgreens to Consider Growing?
These kits are definitely versatile, so you’ll have a lot of options when it comes to your in-home crops. Here’s a list of potential veggies that you can opt to grow using your microgreen kit:
• Snap peas
• Bok choi
• Red acre cabbage
• Mustard greens
The Orientation of the Kit
There’s a lot of variation available with these kits, and if you want to accessorize your kit with your home’s décor, you’ll be happy with the available options. There are two orientation choices to consider:
• Vertical: these kits can be positioned on walls, and will allow for an even distribution of both sunlight and water. Vertical kits tend to be designed with wood accents and other great-looking components so that they fit well with any home’s natural styling.
• Horizontal: Horizontal kits don’t always have an aesthetic design that’s stylish, but they are often designed to be very convenient and easy to use. Still, there are models on the market that utilize glass and other attractive materials to make for an impressive-looking design accent piece. These are also easy to place on a coffee table or a windowsill so that they get optimal light and moisture.
Some Useful Features
When you’re in the market, here are a few features to consider:
- Anti-Leak Design: When you’re growing veggies, you’ll have to expect to utilize water from time to time. While some kits have reservoirs that do a lot of the watering work, when purchasing one, make sure it’s not prone to leaks. This can be done by reading reviews like the one’s posted above or testing out the product yourself. A leak-proof model will also utilize methods that will cut down on leaks from any moisture that forms on the plant as well.
- Automatic Watering: This is a handy feature found on most “smart” microgreen kits. You only fill a reservoir and the kit will water the plant based on the vegetable’s needs
- All-year Functionality: While some plants grow best at various times of the year, kits with smart functionality can simulate these conditions using temperature modes. This will allow you to cultivate summer crops in the winter, which can be very advantageous.
These kits are great ways to provide yourself with delicious vegetables all year long, and since they are relatively inexpensive, you can buy multiple and create your own vegetable medleys. Each of the products highlighting in this guide has great features to consider. Do you still have questions? Take a look at each review, and if you still aren’t sure, take another gander at our buyer’s guide so that you can make a good purchase.
These types of devices are becoming more popular, and models are also getting new features that make the process even easier to manage like smartphone integration and better temperature management. In the end, this type of device may become popular enough to make its way into everyone’s home.